Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Happy 1st Birthday Baby Girl!!!

Today our Jenna is officially 1. I can't believe we've been home for only 12 days. It feels like months! I think I can honestly say that we're all over our jet lag and are finally getting into some routine at home. There were a few days last week that I thought I would pull my hair out as Jenna showed us how badly she hated sleeping in her crib. She was fine for a couple of days and actually slept quite soundly, but all of a sudden, she was not having it. We tried everything to console her after she woke up just hours after being put to bed but nothing seemed to work. This went on for a couple of days. We finally caved and let her sleep in our bed and now she goes to bed at 8:00pm, gets up between 6:00am - 7:00am, down for her morning nap at 9:00, sleeps for 2 hours and down again around 2:00 and down for 2 1/2 hours. It certainly can't get any better than that. Also, at the advice of a friend with 3 of her own, I started giving Jenna a bottle before every nap and bedtime. This has worked like a charm and when she sees that bottle, she knows it's time for a sleep. She had her first appointment with her adoption practitioner on Monday and she really had some great comments and advice. I value her opinion as she has adopted internationally herself and knows first hand what we're going through. She asked if Jenna was sleeping in our bed and when I said yes, she said that it's a good thing as these babies are most likely use to co-sleeping. Also, she said that this is a very crucial time in the bonding and attaching process and Jenna needs to feel safe with us, and if that means losing a few hours of sleep because our baby girl likes to spread eagle and hog our whole king size bed, so be it. Over the last few days, her personality is really starting to come out. She likes to babble to herself and sometimes it really sounds like she's telling us a story complete with hand gestures and the different tones in her voice. Her doctor says that her developmental age is about 9-10 months, which is completely normal and she suspects that when we go to see in her in 2 months, that she'll be caught right up. This parenting gig is alot harder than I thought it was ever going to be. In China, I had Gary with me 24/7 so it was easier to get things done, but now that I'm home with her during the day by myself, I can't seem to get anything done. She's slowly starting to be able to play by herself on the floor but not for long periods of time. She needs to be able to see and hear me at all times or the whining starts. I know this is a good thing and I have to remind myself of this, but it can be trying at times. Other than my house being turned upside down and my laundry not getting done in a timely manner, I love spending my days with her. Whether it's going out shopping, running errands, or just sitting at home playing, I can't imagine my life any other way. As hard as it is, the good definitely outweighs the bad and I love her to pieces! This weekend we're having our family come out and celebrate her birthday with us. My sister and her family are coming in from California on Friday so they, as well as my aunts and uncles, will be meeting Miss Jenna for the first time. It should be alot of fun!

I'll post her birthday pictures on the weekend, but until then, here is a picture I love that we took in China after her bath. She's got some crazy hair and her mommy can't wait for it to grow out so that we could put some pretty bows and clips in it!!!

(Okay, blogger doesn't want to post pictures right now....I'll try again later!)

No comments: